Birth Registration of Child, Laws and Procedure in Pakistan.

Birth Registration is a fundamental right of a child recognized by Convention on the Rights of the Child (CRC), the first legally binding international instrument to incorporate the full range of human rights. A child’s birth has to be legally registered and the parents must acquire the birth certificate of their newly born child.

National Child Policy:

Right to Life and Liberty, Name and Nationality:  Every child has a right to life, liberty, a name and to acquire a nationality

The Birth, Marriage and Death Registration Act 1886, states that Provincial Governments shall establish general registry office for keeping such certified copies of registers of birth and deaths registered under this act.

The Cantonments Act 1924, deals with registration of children in cantonments.

The Local Government Ordinance 2001, holds the Union administration responsible to maintain the registration system and record of births, deaths and marriages and to issues certificates.

National Database Registration Authority Ordinance 2000, stipulates the registration of a citizen under 18 years by his/her guardian/ parent, not later than one month after his/her birth.

The National Registration Act 1973, was promulgated by the government to introduce the concept of issuance of a national identity to every citizen of Pakistan above the age of 18 years. Under the Act, all citizens of Pakistan, regardless of whether they are in Pakistan or abroad, are required to register the births and deaths of their children with the concerned officer.

Charter of Child Rights Act, 2009: Article 5. (1) The Provincial Governments shall ensure that every child is registered immediately after birth and shall have the right from birth to a name, the right to acquire a nationality and, as far as possible, the right to know and be cared for by his parents.

International Commitments:

Convention on the Rights of the Child

Article 7 (1). The child shall be registered immediately after birth and shall have the right from birth to a name, the right to acquire a nationality and as far as possible, the right to know and be cared for by his or her parents.

  1. States Parties shall ensure the implementation of these rights in accordance with their national law and their obligations under the relevant international instruments in this field, in particular, where the child would otherwise be stateless.

Legal Procedure and Mechanisms:

To make the birth registration procedure efficient parents are directed to get their children registered in respective NADRA office, union council and cantonment board.

Birth Certificates

A birth certificate in Pakistan is a legal proof of a person’s date of birth, parentage and place of birth. A Birth Certificate is actually an evidence that documents the birth of a child. The term “birth certificate” can refer to either the original document or a certified copy of or representation of the original record of birth.

How  to get Birth Certificate Pakistan?

Those who do not have their birth certificate, or they have lost it, or often a birth certificate of a family member is required by authorities. The possible ways of obtaining a birth certificate in Pakistan is either the birth registration authority (mostly local Union Council) at the original place of birth should be approached and requested a certified duplicate copy, or alternatively a birth certificate can be obtained by making an application to the National Database Registration Authority (NADRA) which will issue a computerized copy of birth certificate. Under your legal authorization, we can assist you obtain a birth certificate through any of the above procedures.

A thorough search will be done on the records of the Municipality office based on the Parent’s name and applicant’s date of birth in the related Union Council / Municipal Corporation of the place of birth to find whether the birth is registered at the office or not. If the birth certificate was registered with a name, then the certificate will be issued by as per the details available in the records of the Govt. office. In majority of the cases, where the birth was not registered at the time birth and the name would not have been mentioned at the time of birth. In such cases birth is registered with late registration fee, the name can be included by submitting a name inclusion form along with an affidavit from parents/relative and copies of the school certificates (X or XII), residence proof of parent/applicant and the applicant’s passport. But rules for late registration of Birth may be different in different cities of Pakistan. For example in Karachi birth up to 1975 can be registered with late registration fee/year since the year of birth to obtain NADRA Computerized Birth Certificate.

43 comments on “Birth Registration of Child, Laws and Procedure in Pakistan.

  1. Respected Sir!
    I’m a 23yr old Pakistani citizen, facing a problem regarding birth certificate and cnic. My parents aren’t divorced legally but living separately for many years and I live with my mom.
    I want to study further and get a job to be on my own feet and for that reason including various others I need to have a computerized birth certificate and cnic.
    When I reached nadra their staff told me in order to get both these documents I have to bring:
    1.Either my parents computerized marriage certificate or divorce certificate.
    2.Or in case of only separation I should bring my mother’s cnic which contains her husband’s name.
    3.Or I should bring both parents’ CNICs.
    1.since my parents got married in 90’s therefore my mom has a non computerized cnic which doesn’t contain her husband’s cnic number. And they never got divorced so she doesn’t have a divorce certificate.
    2. Yes they are living separately but my father took my mother’s cnic which was based on his cnic(had zojiyat ). So after separation my mother had to make a new cnic with her father’s name (with waldiyat)
    So I’m only left with the third option and that is to bring both parents cnic and for this I approached my father several times he isn’t cooperating with me and is only avoiding meeting me. I have been trying to resolve this matter for many years. My mom is uneducated, when all these things happened to her she didn’t know what to do and where to go. Nobody was there to guide or support her. All decisions of her life were taken by her parents then husband and later by her relatives.
    Is there a legal way so I can obtain his cnic to get my birth certificate and cnic, any organization which can help me in this matter. Some legal advisers mislead me and demanded a huge amount which I’m unable to pay. Please guide me Sir what should I do my future depends on it.


Enter your Question here

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s