..::What is the procedure for Child Custody in Pakistan

…posted by Pakistan Law Firm…Get Free Legal Advice

Non-custodial parents are forced to meet their children once or twice a month for only two hours and that too within court premises. “This harsh visitation schedule ultimately deteriorates the bond of love and affection between a parent and a child,” he said. “On the other hand, the parent who was granted custody of child by court uses the flawed system as judicial hijacking of the child.”

He said that litigation in Pakistan, especially that under the Guardians and Ward Act 1890, is a nightmare. “Fighting for child custody is a cumbersome, slow and nerve-wracking procedure, which on average takes five to seven years,” he said.

He further said that most procedures and precedents set by guardian courts favour the custodian parent and are being manipulated and used by parties only to seek revenge by making it extremely difficult for the non-custodial parent to meet his/her own children.

The petitioner said that it is a common observation that guardian courts are very stringent when it comes to visitation rights of non-custodial parents. Surprisingly, in most of cases, granted interim visitation to the non-custodial parent is as little as once a month for two hours only and within court premises.

The petitioner prayed that guardian courts be directed to protect the rights of children from broken families and the non-custodial parents by announcing a reasonable visitation schedule right from the start of “child custody litigation”

The petition in the Lahore High Court has been filed by Tariq Nawaz who chairs an organisation called My Foundation, which has been established by non-custodial parents.


44 comments on “..::What is the procedure for Child Custody in Pakistan

  1. marriage in Islamic law is not a sacrament but a contract which may be terminated. Discuss the process to be followed according to Hanafi and Shia law with specific reference to Khula?


  2. i want to know what to do when the meeting custody period of minors with our so called “real mother” (unfortunately) is over as one is my youngest sister and the other is my elder brother but he was having some mental problem before the case was disposed off and now he is alright . I’m 19 years old and my brother is 20 while to younger sisters are 18 and 16 respectively, we are in the permanent custody of our uncle ; real brother of my father on our own will, I want my siblings to get rid of this weekly meeting as well as stay during have of the vacations at mothers house.
    Kindly guide me.


    • you better to make a statement before the court that you peoples do’t want to meet with the mother in court, and your welfare is being affected due to weekly meetings in court.


Enter your Question here

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s