..::Child Custody in Pakistan..Types of custody.

..posted by Pakistani Law Firm..Free Legal Advice

The terms may vary a little depending on the laws in your area, but in general there are four custody types:

Legal Custody

Legal custody is the right and responsibility to make decisions about and for your child. For example, with legal custody, you have the authority to decide whether your child will attend private or public school, your child’s religious training, your child’s medical care and treatment and how your child is disciplined.

Physical Custody

Physical custody is the right to have your child live with you. It also means you have the responsibility of caring for the child’s everyday needs. It is possible for a parent to have physical custody but not legal custody.

Sole Custody

Sole custody is when only one parent has legal and/or physical custody of a child. Sole legal custody means that only one parent is responsible for making decisions about their child’s upbringing. Sole physical custody means that only one parent has the right to have the child live with that parent.

Joint Custody

Joint custody is when you and your ex-partner or ex-spouse share legal and/or physical custody. Joint legal custody is when both parents share in child rearing decisions. Joint physical custody is when both parents spend time living with their child.

Joint legal custody might mean:

  • Your child lives with each parent for a significant amount of time during the year
  • Your child spends weekdays with you and weekends with your ex
  • You and the other parent move in and out of the child’s home (called “nesting”)

Noncustodial Parent Visitation

The parent with sole physical custody usually is called the custodial parent. The other parent is called the noncustodial parent and usually has visitation rights. The parents can agree to visitation terms or the court can decide for them if they can’t come to an agreement.

Supervised Visitation

A noncustodial parent usually is allowed visitation without anyone else being present to watch over the child. Sometimes, however, visitation may be supervised, such as when the parent has a history of violent behavior or alcohol or drug abuse, for example. This is when an adult (not the custodial parent) is present during visitation. The supervisor may be court-appointed, or the parents may choose the supervisor with court approval.

Grandparent Visitation

All states have laws on grandparent visitation. Laws do vary from state to state, however, and courts are likely to limit grandparent visitation if a parent asks. Grandparents may seek visitation when parents divorce and it’s in the child’s best interests.

Parenting Agreements

In most states, divorcing parents must have a written plan outlining:

  • Where the child will live
  • Non-custodial parent visitation
  • Who will make parenting decisions and how
  • Child’s holiday and vacation schedules
  • How vacation time is split between the parents

You can work out an agreement on your own, get help from your lawyers or discuss and negotiate a plan through mediation.

When You Can’t Agree

When you and the other parent can’t reach an agreement on custody, the court will likely make decisions for you based on the children’s best interests. Factors in deciding best interests include:

  • Who has been the primary care provider for your child
  • The parents’ mental and physical health
  • The child’s special needs
  • Each parent’s work schedule and availability
  • Where any siblings will live
  • The parents’ support systems (family and friends, etc.)
  • Your child’s custody preference
  • Any history of domestic violence between the parents

Your relationship with your spouse or partner may be over, but your relationship with your child is lifelong. Whether it’s custody or visitation, your child needs and deserves to have contact with you both. As parents, you owe it to yourselves and your child to make sure you’re a part of your child’s life after the divorce or breakup.


2 comments on “..::Child Custody in Pakistan..Types of custody.

  1. Dear Sir,

    Hoping my email will find you well. I want to ask a question regarding custody of my daughters.

    My wife left my house without any reason with her mother and brother. They came to my home and ask me to allow her to go home for 10 days. Her brother promised me that he himself will back her after 10 days, if he will not do so he will go to Jahanum (hell).

    I allowed her, after one day they operates her in an hospital and called me to visit but I ask them why you done this without my permission? due to this i haven’t visited them.

    Now 2 months passed they are not allowing her to come back (i think she herself is also not willing). I called on my wife’s mobile but her mobile is off. I then called to her brother and mother but they not picked my call and still not picking.

    My 2 daughters (one 3 years and other 1 year old) are with also with my wife and my in laws not allowing me to visit and meet them.

    Please advise/help me how I can meet them legally. I am very upset. Kindly help me out.


    • you better file a suit for restitution of conjugal rights and try to reconcile with the wife. you may also apply to the court for meeting with the minor daughters


Enter your Question here

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s