A dishonoured cheque is one, which when presented is refused payment by the bank because of insufficient funds or because it is not in order, dishonestly issuing a cheque is a criminal offence in Pakistan. Dishonestly issuing a cheque is governed by section 489-F of the Pakistan Penal Code, 1860. The said section reads as follows:
489-F Dishonestly issuing a cheque: Whoever dishonestly issues a cheque towards re-payment of a loan or fulfilment of an obligation which is dishonoured on presentation shall be punishable with imprisonment which may extend to three years and with fine unless he can establish, for which the burden of proof shall rest on him, that he had made arrangements with his bank to ensure that the cheque would be honoured and that the bank was at fault in not honouring the cheque.
The offence under this section is cognizable by police, non-bailable and compoundable.
Please note each case has to be seen on its own facts and circumstances.
We can advice you on cheque bouncing, recovery of debt, recovery of money, legal notice for cheque dishonour, lodging of First Information Report (F.I.R.) and other related matters to individuals, firms, companies both local and foreign.
- Dishonour of cheque (slideshare.net)
- Man gets 10 days over dishonoured cheques (daily-mail.co.zm)
- Dishonour of Cheque Complaint based on successive dishonour/notice permissible (nadeemqureshi1.wordpress.com)
- The legal consequences with bounced cheques! (loans.msn.bankbazaar.com)
- the jurisdiction to entertain a petition filed under Section 138 of the Negotiable Instruments Act. = whether the Court within the jurisdiction whereof, the complainant had presented the dishonoured cheque (issued by an accused), (advocatemmmohan.wordpress.com)
- Cyprus CIR for issuers of dishonoured cheques reopens (famagusta-gazette.com)
- SC Judgement on territorial Jurisdiction u/s 138 of NI Act (nadeemqureshi1.wordpress.com)
- Vehicle theft – premium paid through cheque for renewal of policy was bounced due to bank fault – Refusal of granting insurance claim – not tenable = In the meanwhile, the vehicle, in question, was stolen on the mid-night of 09.07.2004. The complaina (advocatemmmohan.wordpress.com)